Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Science in Nature Scavenger Hunt

Today we did a "digital photo scavenger hunt". I worked in a group with the other science teachers (Rachel and Jimmy). I was really excited about it because I love to take pictures and be outside. Unfortunately, there were a few things that ruined the experience. First, it was about 95 degrees and absolutely sweltering out - sweat anyone? Second, I think that we had the hardest list of things to find (especially since we were the last ones back to the classroom). Third, our list was all about "science in nature" and geared towards the life sciences (while the three of us all teach the physical sciences).

However, we completed the assignment (everyone can't love every assignment). Instead of heading across to the agricultural campus (probably about a mile walk) in the extreme heat, we started off towards the biology and ecology departments. With all of the construction going on around campus, it was hard to find things that were on our list. We found a lot of posters in the ecology building (Hess Hall, I think), so we took some pictures of a picture. We couldn't get into any of the labs that worked with frogs or lizards or salamanders because the Animal Safety teams were here today for inspections. Even though we had to take pictures of things that weren't actually living (our list didn't say it had to be ALIVE), we had everything we needed and headed back to class.

After downloading the photos onto the computer, resizing them in Photoshop Elements 4.0, and uploading them to a new album in Picasa, I was ready to make a Google Presentation (part of Google Docs). I did have to take one or two photos from the internet because our digital pictures didn't turn out perfectly. Google Presentation is like a simpler form of Microsoft PowerPoint, except internet-based and with less options or bells and whistles. I do like the template I chose - it's a notepad (school) sitting in grass (nature), and I think it enhances the point of the scavenger hunt. Check out my final presentation:


As for the usefulness of this assignment, I definitely think it could be adjusted for the classroom. I would create a list that involves more creativity in the scavenger hunt - instead of finding a frog, students would find something green (or something with four legs, or something that moves). Part of learning is creativity and originality. After hearing how the math group was searching for pictures of "parallel lines" and "angles", I was jealous of how much more creative and resourceful they had to be to accomplish the assigned task. But overall it was a good learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment