Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Fair(y) Use Tale

I hadn't had a chance to watch this ADORABLE (and informative) video on copyright laws and fair use until this week and forgot to blog about it. I absolutely LOVE Disney movies, so this video was right up my alley! It used quick clips (one word or a few words) from all kinds of Disney movies to talk about copyright laws and fair use. It included clips from Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, The Emperor's New Groove, Finding Nemo, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Incredibles, The Jungle Book, Lilo and Stitch, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Monsters, Inc., Mulan, 101 Dalmations, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Tarzan, Tarzan II, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and Treasure Planet! (phew!)

I'd definitely like to use more technology in my classes, especially this new forensic science course, in which I plan to have plenty of labs and lots and lots of collaboration and group work, so I can see myself showing this video as an intro to copyright laws and fair use (what a great discussion-starter).

If you haven't ever watched it, and you're interested in copyright laws and fair use, it's worth the 10 minutes of your day to check it out:

1 comment:

  1. I love the Fair(y) Use Tale, too, especially how it takes a dig at Disney -- probably the single largest lobbyist in favor of copyright restriction. The guy who made this video is so clever! As an English teacher, I love how it demonstrates satire and social commentary even as it teaches about copyright, fair use, and public domain. There are so many misconceptions about copyright.

    In the evening section we watched a video about copyright confusion. You might like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete